You’ve had your extensions fitted and love the look and feel of your new hair but how do you style it? Plaits have been one of the biggest trends of 2015 and will continue to reign supreme well into the Autumn and Winter seasons too.
One of the most popular styles favoured by celebrities on and off the red carpet is the Fishtail Plait. A fantastic style for extensions wearers, as the style demands ultra-long locks, the fishtail is also versatile and can be worn mussed up for a laid back boho vibe or perfectly polished, appropriate for more formal occasions.
Often overlooked as too difficult to achieve at home, the fishtail uses two sections, as opposed to the traditional braid which uses three. Follow our easy step-by-step guide and have your fishtail technique perfected in a matter of minutes!
- Part your hair to one side and pull the whole length over your shoulder, ensuring any bonds or tape pieces are not visible.
- Begin by splitting hair into two equal sections. Tip: If you’re hair is freshly washed, spray a texturising product through the mid-lengths and ends for added grip when braiding.
- Take a small piece of hair from the outside of one of the two main sections and bring it to the inside of the opposite section and pull tight. Tip: The smaller the pieces, the more detailed the braid.
- Repeat step three on the opposite section and continue taking pieces from each side to develop the inverted braided pattern.
- Braid all the way to the bottom and tie off with a clear elastic hair band.
- Now that the plait is secure, pull at it gently to loosen up. Tip: For a messier ‘bed head’ finish, pull some pieces out to create a lived in, textured finish.